
Over the weekend I headed to the Verizon Store and upgraded my blackberry to the new Motorola Droid, with the new Google OS 2.0.
I am enrolled in Verizon's "New Every 2-year" program that allows customers to upgrade their phone for free every 2-years. Unfortunately this was not my renewal year, since I had just renewed earlier this year when I moved to the Blackberry.
However I knew that they would allow you to upgrade, without any penalty if you were close to you contract expiration as long as you renewed for another 2-years. I've done it before. So I was going to test them and see if they'd allow me to upgrade to the Droid with a little over a year left on my contract.
After doing some talking with the sales rep and playing a little hardball with the manager, I was able to get them to agree to upgrade me to the new Droid. The phone wasn't free however, I still had to pay the $199.00. But it was better than paying the original price they wanted for $559, since I was already under contract and not near my renewal date. This was the first time, in years, I had to pay for my phone, so I didn't mind the $199.00. I had been with Verizon since 2003 and enrolled in their "New Every 2-years".
....A little persistence paid off.
So far the phone is terrific, not and iPhone killer, but it doesn't need to be. I've always hated AT&T and would never go back to them, even with the iPhone. When AT&T's exclusive deal has expired with Apple and the iPhone is opened to other carriers, then I will consider the iPhone.
I'll tell you more about this phone once I've had a week to play with it.
Jerald, I need a new phone like last year, and don't want to deal with AT&T either. Please let me know how you like the Droid, especailly if the apps are user friendly.
ReplyDeleteJerald, revisiting your blog. You suck as a blogger, but a pretty damn proficient Facebook-er (which is essentially blogging without too much effort)!
ReplyDelete