Friday, October 16, 2009

CrossFit


Yesterday was my first 'real' day of CrossFit with Cadence CrossFit in Los Gatos.

I was first introduced to CrossFit by my friend Taylor, who use to be a participant on the last TNT Run Team I was a Training Captain on in Fall 2007. She has been doing CrossFit for a little over a year I guess and she always has good things to say about it...might be because her boyfriend is one of the trainers :)

I take off work early so I could get a little bit of run in before I start. I texted my friend Taylor to let her know I was going to my first session and felt a little nervous because of my experience with the "Intro" class that I took late September. I had a feeling I was going to be sore for the next 4-days.


It actually turned out alright. I arrive and actually saw Taylor there too. I sat down and talked to Joey, my trainer, to go over some of my fitness goals and take care of all the financial stuff. He told me that I was pretty much going to just go over technique and form, nothing major, what a relief! I thought I was going to be punished. The first 3-days are really just dedicated to getting use to all the movements and exercises that I will be doing in the next 3-4 months. The punishment will come next week.

First started off going over how to do a proper 'squat'. I figured hell I'm Asian, I should be an expert on squatting! My legs were tight, I had trouble getting all the way down and almost tipped over a couple of times. So we did a couple of stretches to loosen up my quads and later I was able to do the whole movement.


Next we worked on these pullups were I basically swing slightly and then kick my hips to drive my body up and chin over the bar, similar to how a gymnast would do pullups. Wow, I can do 12 'regular' pullups, but managed only 5 of this type. I've got some work ahead.

The rest of the hour was all proper technique and form. A lot of squatting and deadlifting. Tonight I'm headed back to go over more stuff, then later tonight heading to Redwood City for a friends birthday party...at some Roller Rink!

No comments:

Post a Comment